Spiced Apple Crumble cake
My favourite way to eat this cake is warm with a dollop of thick greek yogurt!
(makes 16 slices)
- 125g butter
- 2 medium apples, grated with skins on
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 2 tbsp of soft brown sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Pre-heat conventional oven to 180°C
- Line the bottom of a well-greased 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin (if you don’t have a 23cm tin just use something similar)
- Melt the butter and in a large mixing bowl, combine with the grated apples, caster sugar and egg and mix well
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt into a separate bowl then fold into the apple mixture
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin
- Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the cake
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the centre springs back when pressed lightly and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake (different sized tins and different varieties of apples will affect the cooking time).
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5-10 minutes before removing from the tin and cooling on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm or cold with a dollop of natural Greek yogurt.